Thursday, September 29, 2011

Getting to the Point

Because I’ve worked for two magazines, Geist and Prism International, I imagine I gravitate towards reading magazines. But not strictly literary ones, rather Vogue and Vanity Fair and Harpers. I love that time in the waiting room, before the uncomfortable drilling, examination or worse, to choose a tacky magazine from the rack and jump in to a story about an actress or a designer or politician. And to look at the ads! Magazines are dense with fascinating tidbits and longer exposés than a typical book of fiction would ever be able to match. Exceptions noted. David Foster Wallace. My list of reading preferences is: magazines, non-fiction (autobiographical or historical), reference books, recipe books, poetry, pamphlets, Winners flyers, fiction. On the other hand, my reason for such a reading order may simply stem from a shortfall of patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment